In a letter dated 7 May 2007, the Minister for Education, Culture and Science (OCW) requested the Restitutions Committee (hereafter referred to as: ‘the Committee’) to issue a recommendation regarding the application of 30 March 2007 by G.P. of B. A., Argentina (hereafter referred to as: ‘the applicant’) for the restitution of six paintings that are currently part of the Netherlands Art Property Collection (NK collection). The applicant is represented by her lawyer, L. Fremy of Berlin. The application concerns the following paintings:
- Man with beard and turban, follower of Rembrandt van Rijn (NK 1602);
- St. Werner, Master of Messkirch (NK 1633);
- Mary with the Christchild and the infant John the Baptist, L. Cranach (NK 1883);
- St. Barbara (NK 2554) and St. Catherine of Alexandria (NK 2555), Master of Frankfurt;
- The Birth of Mary, H.S. von Kulmbach (NK 2559).
The painting NK 1602 is currently housed in the depot of the Netherlands Institute for Cultural Heritage in Rijswijk, the paintings NK 1633 and NK 1883 are part of the collection at the Bonnefantenmuseum in Maastricht and the paintings NK 2554, NK 2555 and NK 2559 are housed in the Mauritshuis in The Hague.